Halloween is a fun time for our children, both human and furry ones. The National Retail Federation said that 2012’s most popular pet costumes were: pumpkin, devil and hot dog. As your local Lansdale pet sitting service, we wanted to share some ideas to keep Halloween a safe time for our pets!
Pets have a sweet tooth just like we do. But candy, sugar free gum, puddings and chocolate often have an artificial sweetener, xylitol, in them. This is toxic to our furbabies. If your pet has ingested any of these products, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center number is 888-426-4435.
Halloween decorations can cause problems for our pets. Fake cobwebs, glow sticks and decorations with glitter can lead to intestinal problems. Carved pumpkins can become moldy, which can cause stomach problems if nibbled on. Pumpkin seeds are not toxic t cats or dogs. There is also a hazard if your Jack-o-lantern has a lit candle in it. It can be knocked over by a wagging tail. If you dress your pet for Halloween, check their costume for any small decorative items that could be choking hazards.
Trick or treaters can upset our dogs. Their costumes and masks make people they know look and smell different. Your doorbell ringing frequently stresses pets. A dog might bark, run around, escape or even bite.
Follow this Lansdale pet sitter on Facebook or contact us today to set up your complimentary consultation!